Serenity Knolls separates itself from other addiction and co-occurring personality disorder treatment centers by offering the Foundation Enrichment Program build around the 12-Step social model of recovery. By identifying the mental health issue tied to you or your loved one’s addiction, we are able to address both in a setting of complete healing. 85% of our staff are in recovery and bring their experiences to help our residents rebuild their foundation. When you start your journey to lasting sobriety at Serenity Knolls, you will never again walk alone.
Learn More About 12-Step Personality Disorder Treatment & Recovery at Serenity Knolls
Personality disorders are a specific set of mental health disorders that cause instability in relationships and a great deal of difficulty in daily life. These disorders may be identified by a variety of symptoms, depending on the type of personality disorder, but the majority of such symptoms can lead to difficulty maintaining harmonious or comfortable relationships. Common personality disorders include borderline personality disorder, antisocial personality disorder, narcissistic personality disorder, obsessive-compulsive personality disorder, avoidant personality disorder, dependent personality disorder, and histrionic personality disorder. Although the different types of personality disorders can vary greatly in nature and specific symptoms, the devastating toll that they can have on those suffering from them can be significant. Personality disorders that are accompanied by an addiction to drugs or alcohol can be particularly detrimental.
At Serenity Knolls, professionals provide excellent and compassionate care that is centered on an understanding of the complicated nature of personality disorders, as well as on the added complications that arise when an addiction is also present. We believe that every person is worthy of understanding and respect, and we work diligently to help both individuals and families heal from substance abuse problems and co-occurring personality disorders.
Serenity Knolls can treat co-occurring disorders only when secondary to you or your loved one’s substance use disorder and the individual is deemed stable enough to engage in and benefit from treatment.
Helping a Loved One or Family Member Get Personality Disorder Treatment
Supporting a loved one who suffers from a personality disorder and an addiction is no simple task. Indeed, it can be very emotionally taxing. Perhaps you, at times, feel afraid or even angry. Although your emotions may run high at certain points, there is no need to lose hope or become overly desperate. There are many practical ways in which you can take progressive action to be of genuine assistance to your loved one. Please consider the following:
- Find out as many details about personality disorders as you can, including the signs and symptoms. The more you know, the more you will understand the particularities of the certain disorder that he or she battles. This will help to explain why he or she acts and behaves in certain ways, and it will also help you to show more understanding and to even feel a part of his or her struggle. Something similar can be said of addiction. If you know which substance it is that is being abused, you will need to understand the symptoms.
- Search for various treatment options. Mental health treatment is often beneficial to those who suffer from personality disorders. You can help by finding resources for mental health treatment in your area. Where do you begin? Perhaps by a search on your web engine. Or, you may be somewhat familiar with a mental health expert in your area who can point you in the right direction. As you search, jot down your findings. You may use these later to share with your loved one.
- A third step in helping a loved one to be treated for his or her personality disorder is to openly and honestly communicate with him or her about why you feel that it is important that he or she do so. Be careful, however, as this is no time to come across as eager to judge. Rather, you will want to simply state your observations, patiently explaining what you see and how this causes you to feel. He or she may be inclined to just sit and listen, or to speak. Whether so many words come out that you feel that you are not being heard, or so few that you wonder if anything you say is sinking in, be patient. Your words often have a larger impact than you think.
- You can make the transition into a treatment center easier than it would be without your kind and loving help. Arrange for appointments with the staff at the treatment center, as this helps the one with the personality disorder to feel your concern. When possible, go with him or her to any appointments that are scheduled. Help take care of the kids, make meals, and provide travel and transport arrangements; offer assistance in any way that you are able.
- Do not forget about your loved one once treatment has begun. Making regular visits and sending notes of encouragement are examples of ways that you can demonstrate a continued interest in him or her, and show that you are genuinely concerned about his or her welfare. This could be the motivation he or she needs to complete treatment.
- Do not forget to care for your own emotional and physical needs to the extent necessary. You will not be in a position to give good care if you, yourself, are not caring for your own wellbeing. Maintaining a healthy diet, getting plenty of rest and exercise, and seeking support from friends or family members are things that you should never take for granted in the process of assisting another person to reach a better mental and emotional health. Do not face the issue of your loved one’s disorder alone. You need a confidant, and there are even support groups set up for individuals just like you.
Why Consider 12-Step Personality Disorder Treatment at Serenity Knolls Rehab Center in California
Addiction and personality disorders alike destroy lives and the ability to function healthily and happily from day to day. Although they vary in nature, the havoc that these untreated conditions can create is noteworthy. Work life is impeded, and skills may be lost. Ethic will be lost. Employment may be lost. Finances may disappear rapidly. Relationships suffer, and children may be taken. Romance may be lost. Friendships may be shattered. Divorce, custody issues, and severe loneliness are common factors in addiction or mental health/ personality disorder cases. Substance abuse is sometimes related to automotive accidents, drug overdose, disease from sexual interaction, and even thoughts or attempts of suicide. Regardless of how many or severe these symptoms may be, with the right help these disorders can be treated. Life can be enjoyable again! When looking for personality disorder treatment, you or your loved one may have been searching broadly for “treatment centers near me?” In California, there is one clear choice.
Types of Personality Disorder Treatment Offered at Serenity Knolls
Serenity Knolls is your choice for personality disorder treatment when you or your loved one asks the question: what is the best treatment center near me? Perched on a knoll in the majestic San Geronimo Valley in Marin County, California, Serenity Knolls is a leading provider of clinically excellent, evidenced-based chemical dependency treatment for adults over the age of 18. In addition to the comprehensive treatment that we offer for individuals who are working to overcome an addiction to drugs or alcohol, we are also pleased to provide programming for individuals who are suffering from mental health disorders, including personality disorders, in addition to a substance abuse problem. Having succeeded in earning the reputation as one of the premier residential treatment centers in California, at Serenity Knolls, we are proud to have helped thousands of men and women overcome their struggles and move on towards living fulfilling and fruitful lives.
At Serenity Knolls, our primary goal is to help residents overcome the suffering they experience as a result of being dependent on drugs and/or alcohol. Yet, we also understand the profound distress that can arise when individuals are suffering from both chemical dependency and mental health conditions like personality disorders. As such, we strive to offer those who are entrusted into our care with the well-rounded interventions that they need in order to find true and lasting healing. By partaking in the care we offer here at Serenity Knolls, individuals can both overcome their addictions and learn to manage the symptoms of various personality disorders.
The multidisciplinary treatment teams that we employ here at Serenity Knolls are dedicated to devising individualized treatment plans for each man or woman who engages in our programming. Those customized plans of care may include the following interventions:
Medication management: When individuals are suffering from personality disorders, they may benefit from receiving prescriptions for certain medications. The need for medication, however, is always determined on a case-by-case basis. Should it be deemed helpful to a resident’s healing process, medication management services will be provided, including ongoing monitoring to ensure the safety and effectiveness of the medications prescribed.
Detoxification: If an individual has been abusing drugs or alcohol and requires detoxification services prior to engaging in the full range of therapeutic interventions that we offer here at Serenity Knolls, arrangements can be made for those services to take place.
Individual therapy: Conducted by psychologists and marriage and family therapists, individual therapy sessions are an invaluable treatment intervention for individuals who are suffering from personality disorders and substance abuse concerns. During these one-on-one sessions, which occur on a weekly basis, men and women have the opportunity to discuss their progress in treatment, address any concerns that they have, and work towards overcoming any personal challenges that they are facing.
Individual counseling: In addition to weekly individual therapy sessions, residents at Serenity Knolls also benefit from receiving daily counseling sessions with certified drug and alcohol counselors. This serves as a time for residents to check-in with their counselors so that they can address any immediate concerns or crises, as well as to ensure that they are progressing positively in treatment.
Group therapy: Group therapy sessions are another extremely beneficial therapeutic intervention for individuals who are suffering from chemical dependency and co-occurring symptoms of personality disorders. These sessions, which occur several times each week, provide residents with an opportunity to come together with other residents who are facing similar challenges. In this environment, individuals can give and receive support and encouragement to and from other residents. These group sessions are led by psychologists, registered nurses, marriage and family therapists, and certified alcohol and drug counselors. The various types of groups that residents may participate in during their time at Serenity Knolls can include the following.
- Women’s groups
- Men’s groups
- Educational groups
- Process groups
- 12-Step groups
Couples and family counseling: Knowing how important relationships can play an immensely significant role in the healing and recovery of individuals who are suffering from substance abuse problems and co-occurring personality disorders, at Serenity Knolls, we are pleased to offer couples and family counseling to all of our residents. These sessions typically occur on a weekly basis, but the schedule can be altered based on each resident’s specific needs.
Experiential therapy: In order to help our residents achieve healing on a holistic level, at Serenity Knolls, we are pleased to offer art therapy sessions. When individuals are suffering from any kind of personality disorder, along with an addiction to drugs or alcohol, art therapy can serve as a beneficial forum for processing their emotions.
Weekend Family Program: Addictions and mental illness are rarely concerns that only affect one individual. Instead, these issues can impact the lives of those around the suffering individual as well. At Serenity Knolls, we care about helping both our residents and those closest to them heal together. As such, we are immensely pleased to offer our Weekend Family Program to current residents, as well as to alumni of our program. The Weekend Family Program is offered every Saturday and every other Sunday. As part of this program, residents and their loved ones can engage in educational and process groups that are offered through Partners in Recovery.
At Serenity Knolls, we are aware that recovery does not end with the completion of our residential treatment program, but is instead a lifetime journey. For this reason, we provide thorough discharge planning for our residents, which include discussions on potential options for continuing care. In addition to any recommendations that are provided, we are also proud to offer our residents, past and present, the lifetime benefit of being able to engage in our aftercare program, at no cost.
If you or your loved one is suffering from the symptoms of a personality disorder, and is simultaneously plagued by the compulsion to abuse drugs or alcohol, please reach out to the experienced, knowledgeable, and compassionate staff at Serenity Knolls. Here, you can become the person that you deeply want to be. We can help you recover your life.