Phencyclidine, also known as PCP, is a schedule II controlled substance that can lead to a number of unhealthy outcomes. PCP is also known by many street names including angel dust, wet, rocket fuel, and magic dust. This drug was originally developed as an anesthetic, but doctors soon found that it made patients volatile, confused, irrational, and delusional, often with the added presence of hallucinations. This drug is highly dangerous and can cause brain damage and impulsive actions that may lead to injury or death.
At Serenity Knolls, we understand how PCP use can damage a person’s life. We have dedicated ourselves to helping individuals come out of the darkness of addiction for over 25 years. Through individualized treatment plans and top-notch professional support, we strive to help each and every person overcome addiction and begin a better life.
Helping a Loved One or Family Member Get Treatment
If someone you love has been abusing PCP, you are right to be worried. While you cannot force your loved one to immediately stop using dangerous substances, there are some ways that you may be able to help the person you care about find supportive treatment. Consider the following steps:
- Learn as much as possible about the signs and symptoms of PCP abuse and addiction. Get a better understanding about the effects of this drug, and other drugs that are commonly used with it. Because this drug leads to unpredictable behaviors, understanding its possible effects is important in order to prepare yourself to protect your loved one’s safety and address any situations that may arise due to his or her PCP abuse.
- Research treatment for PCP abuse and addiction. Identify treatment options that may meet the needs of your loved one. Consider speaking with representative of these treatment centers to see if their programming would be a good fit for your loved one.
- PCP can make individuals who are not violent become uncharacteristically dangerous. It is important that you prioritize safety first. Do not risk your own safety in order to speak with your loved one about this issue. Consider enlisting the help of other loved ones when dealing with the individual who is abusing PCP.
- Talk to and listen to your loved one. Try not to make him or her feel cornered or trapped. Be prepared for a defensive or angry response, and understand that this type of initial reaction is normal. If he or she is willing to listen, offer the treatment suggest you have found to your loved one.
- If your loved one accepts that he or she needs treatment, consider ways that you can help facilitate this process. For instance, you may be able to help transport him or her to treatment. Or, you may be able to pet-sit or offer childcare. You may want to consider attending family counseling sessions or the family program associated with the treatment program, if one is available.
- Remember that treatment is only the first step toward long-term recovery. Your loved one will need a strong support network after he or she completes treatment. Therefore, take good care of yourself, so that you will be able to remain supportive and healthy.
Why Consider Treatment at Serenity Knolls
PCP abuse and addiction can take an incredible toll on individuals and families. Continued use of this substance can lead to physical dangers, increased violence and aggression, psychosis, damage to brain function, arrest and incarceration, and even death. PCP is one of the most dangerous drugs that an individual can consume. Therefore, it is incredibly important to seek treatment as soon as possible.
At Serenity Knolls, we offer comprehensive treatment with a team of dedicated substance abuse professionals. While PCP use can lead to devastating consequences, there is hope. With dedicated recovery, it is possible to find healing and begin a new and promising future.
Types of Treatment Offered at Serenity Knolls
With picturesque 360-degree views that allow for viewing breath-taking sunrises and sunsets, Serenity Knolls, which is located in the San Geronimo Valley in Marin County, California, is a world class provider of addiction treatment for men and women aged 18 and older. Created to help adults restore and improve their lives after having battled addictions to substances, this center is where a life that is no longer controlled by the abuse of drugs and/or alcohol can be realized.
In choosing Serenity Knolls as the place to confront an addiction to PCP and/or other harmful substances, a person can receive the care that is needed to flourish and live to his or her highest potential. Our staff, which includes a multidisciplinary team of exceptional professionals, many of whom have overcome their own struggles with addiction and chemical dependency, facilitates treatment with the utmost empathy, compassion, and dedication. Additionally, each person at this center is provided with a customized plan of care that details the interventions needed to experience the most favorable treatment outcomes. During one’s initial assessment, and for the duration of treatment at Serenity Knolls, substance use concerns and co-occurring mental health needs are assessed, which then prompt the inclusion or exclusion of the below listed interventions within a resident’s personalized treatment plan:
Individual counseling: So as to gauge how residents are progressing in their treatment, the care supplied by Serenity Knolls includes daily individual counseling sessions with experienced and knowledgeable alcohol and drug counselors. During these meetings, men and women can discuss how they are doing on a day-to-day basis and can report any successes and/or setbacks that occur while they are working to overcome an addiction to PCP.
Individual therapy: We, at Serenity Knolls, are pleased to offer weekly individual therapy sessions for those who come to our center to break free from an addiction to PCP. Our staff psychologists and marriage and family therapists are the professionals who meet with residents during these sessions so that men and women can receive the one-on-one attention they need to make strides in their recovery. Individual therapy can serve as a time in which residents can talk about things that they may not feel comfortable sharing in group, establish goals for the future, and work through any emotions and feelings that they may be experiencing.
Group therapy: In order to provide residents with the support and guidance they need as they work on their recovery from addictions to PCP and/or other substances, the programming at Serenity Knolls features several group therapy opportunities each week. Group therapy sessions are led by psychologists, marriage and family therapists, experienced alcohol and drug counselors, and other healthcare professionals, and include several residents so that they are able to provide and receive support to and from one another. The following types of groups can serve as excellent opportunities for men and women to practice the invaluable skills that they are learning:
- Educational groups
- Men’s groups
- Process groups
- Women’s groups
- 12-Step groups
Couples and family counseling: Serenity Knolls is proud to offer multifamily group therapy sessions for residents and those they are closest to. Additionally, as a leading provider of substance abuse treatment, we are delighted to include couples and family counseling services upon request for the men and women entrusted into our care and their loved ones. Given the fact that recovery success is more easily achieved when one has the support of his or her friends and family members, we purposefully supply these services in order to enhance each resident’s treatment experience as the work towards overcoming an addiction to PCP.
Weekend Family Program: The Weekend Family Program is designed to offer family members, close friends, and other loved ones the education and support that they need to understand not only their loved one’s struggles, but their own struggles as well. This program features a unique and effective process that includes education, sharing of experiences, and multifamily group therapy sessions.
Every man and woman who comes for care at Serenity Knolls is treated as a unique individual who possesses distinctive strengths. These strengths, as well as the concerns that a resident is suffering from, are factored into the treatment planning process and can ascertain which of the above methods of care are needed to help each person heal and recover in a lasting and meaningful way.
Additionally, our clinical team prepares for each resident’s discharge from the moment they begin treatment to confront an addiction to PCP. In doing so, we are able to determine the continuing care options that will best meet each person’s needs after leaving Serenity Knolls. Furthermore, we offer a high quality Aftercare Program that is located in two convenient locations. This program is available to former residents for a lifetime and includes weekly meetings, as well as help for men and women as they acquire the sponsorships needed to remain on the path of recovery. In sum, we, at Serenity Knolls, ensure that every facet of treatment at our center is highly personalized and supportive for the duration of an individual’s time with us.
If you or someone you care about is plagued by an addiction to PCP and would like to partake in top-notch treatment that can break the chains of addiction once and for all, look no further than Serenity Knolls. Our staff is ready, willing, and able to help to you or your loved one determine if our center is the perfect place to begin life anew.